BEST EMERGING ARTISAN FOOD COMPETITION 2016
Applications are invited for Listowel Food Fair’s Best Emerging Artisan Food Competition 2016, which is sponsored by Kerry LEO. This competition has been a long standing focal point of Listowel Food Fair which is now in its 22nd year. This year’s food fair will take place from November 10th to 13th. Food Producers will have their emerging food products assessed by a judging panel, who will provide them with invaluable feedback.
- Artisan food requires that the food is not mass produced, but is hands-on in the making
- The “best emerging” element requires that the food product must be 2 years or less in production
The 5 Categories for entry are:
- Pates, Meats & Seafood
- Baking & Baked Goods, Sweets & Cereals
- Beverages – Alcoholic & Non- Alcoholic
- Dairy – Cultured milk, Cream products, Ice Cream
- Condiments – Jams, Chutneys, Sauces and Food Ingredients
Food Products will be assessed based on 4 criteria:
- Taste (30%)
- Texture (30%)
- Appearance (30%)
- Packaging (10%) Note: If packaging is not yet available, please include a list of ingredients with your entry
Entry Date & Fee:
Entry form and €25 fee (per producer) must be returned to Mary Coleman, 2 Moylist, Bunaghara, Listowel, Co. Kerry by Friday September 30th. A food producer can enter an unlimited number of products.
Judging will take place on Wednesday October 5th at Listowel Arms Hotel. All entries must be delivered to the hotel by 9am on that morning. Important: When delivering products to the hotel, please ensure that they are clearly marked “Best Emerging Listowel Food Fair”.
Our judging panel for 2016 will be:
- Angela Sheehan, Programme Manager, Food Industry Training Unit, UCC
- Richard Sheehan, Chef and Nutritional Therapist
- Paul O’Connor, Manager, Garveys Supervalu Listowel
- Member of Kerry LEO (TBC)
Winners will be notified by Thursday October 6th. Feedback to all entrants can be provided by email on request. If you would like to receive the judges’ feedback, please provide your email address with your application.
The overall competition winner will receive a prize fund of €1000 plus have their winning product stocked by Garveys Supervalu Listowel for a period of 12 months.
The 5 category winners are awarded €200 each.
All Winners’ ingredients are incorporated into the 7 course taster menu at our Artisan Food Producers’ Celebratory Dinner, held on Friday November 11th, where prizes will be awarded.
Thank you all artisan producers who entered the 2015 competition.
The winners were: Spice Devils Kari Tropical spice mix; Hulberts Asian Dressing, Rolf's Smoked Paprika Sea Salt, Pauline Lyne's Sweet Chilli Relish, Full Circle Lemon Cordial and O'Brian's Spice Cheddar.