ORNUA/LISTOWEL FOOD FAIR CHEESE COMPETITION 2016
Click Here for Entry Form
Applications are invited for the Ornua/Listowel Food Fair Cheese Competition 2016, which will take place as part of Listowel Food Fair, November 10th to 13th 2016.
The aim of this competition is to provide positive recognition to cheese producers for their achievements in flavour, aroma, texture, and appearance of their product.
- Cheeses must be made in Ireland, milk source only. As part of the entry process, you will be asked to confirm that all of your entries meet this essential requirement.
- Send your cheese in its original form. Cheeses may not be plugged and/or resealed. Cheeses must be entered as whole wheels, loaves, or blocks. Exceptions will be made for larger form cheeses. These cheeses must be presented in the form in which they are available for wholesale distribution.
- Any product may only be entered in the competition once. This includes products that may be marketed under different labels.
- Entries must be comprised of at least 51% cheese or cultured dairy product.
- Entrants must provide the name of the original cheesemaker for each entry.
- Entrants will be required to provide the production date for each product entered.
The Categories for entry are:
- MARINATED CHEESES & SMOKED CHEESES: Entries must identify the type of marinade (Olive oil, safflower oil, vinegar, wine, spirits and liqueur, etc., including additional ingredients). Information about the smoke source (i.e. natural and/or smoke flavourings) must accompany each cheese entry
- SHEEP'S MILK & GOAT’S MILK CHEESES: Open to all shapes and styles of 100% sheep’s or goat’s milk cheeses
- BLUE MOULD CHEESES & FRESH UNRIPENED CHEESES: All cheeses ripened with Penicillium roqueforti or glaucum Blue Mould Cheeses with Flavour Added. Cheese Curds, Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese, Fromage Blanc, Fromage Frais, Impastata, Mascarpone, Quark, Ricotta
- CHEDDARS: All Cheddars, all milks
- FARMSTEAD CHEESES: Limited to cheeses and fermented milk products produced with: • Milk from herds on the farm where the cheese is produced • Care and attention given to the purity, quality, and flavour of the milk • Production primarily accomplished by hand • Natural ripening with emphasis on development of characteristic flavour and texture, without the use of shortcuts and techniques to increase yield and shelf life at the expense of quality • Respect for the traditions and history of cheese making regardless of the size of the production.
Cheeses will be assessed based on 4 criteria:
- Taste (30%)
- Texture (30%)
- Appearance (30%)
- Packaging (10%)
Entry Date & Fee:
Entry form and €25 fee (per producer) must be returned to Mary Coleman, 2 Moylist, Bunaghara, Listowel, Co. Kerry by Friday September 30th.
Judging will take place on Wednesday October 5th at Listowel Arms Hotel. All entries must be delivered to the hotel by 9am on that morning. Important: When delivering products to the hotel, please ensure that they are clearly marked “Cheese Competition Listowel Food Fair”.
Our judging panel for 2016 will be:
- Angela Sheehan, Programme Manager, Food Industry Training Unit, UCC
- Richard Sheehan, Chef and Nutritional Therapist
- Paul O’Connor, Manager, Garveys Supervalu Listowel
- Member of ORNUA (Previously Irish Dairy Board) TBC
Winners will be notified by Thursday October 6th. Feedback to all entrants can be provided by email on request. If you would like to receive the judges’ feedback, please provide your email address with your application.
The overall competition winner will receive a prize fund of €1000 plus have their winning product stocked by Garveys Supervalu Listowel for a period of 12 months.
The 5 category winners are awarded €200 each.